Lentil with Moroccan Spice Mix
2-3 Tbsp oil...olive or canola
2-1/2 cups water 1 cup whole brown lentils (I use Canadian small lentil)1 tsp whole cumin 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp turmeric 1 tsp ground dry ginger 1 tsp paprika ½ tsp cayenne
½tsp Ras al hanout (optional) salt and pepper to taste
zest plus juice of half lemon
- Heat a pot over medium heat;add olive oil and chopped onion, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add lentil and stir; allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes until onion is lightly golden.
- Add all other ingredients except lemon zest and juice. Cooked for another minute to bring together all flavors while spice mix coated lentil.
- Add water to lentil and bring to a rolling boil,lower heat,cover pot, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir the lemon zest and allow lentils to fully cooked.Gentle stir lentil to prevent breaking and to hold their shape until sauce is absorbed. P.S.If the lentils look too dry, just add a bit more water. When lentil is finish, remove from stove and let rest10-15 minutes to absorb any excess sauce).
- Before serving, taste to adjust seasoning . Stir in lemon juice and garnish with cilantro or parsley also drizzled with some good olive oil.